If you’re looking to become a property manager there are a few things you needs to be put in place before taking on the role
10 tips on marketing your property management company
Date Published: Jan 05, 2020
Are you looking to add more clients to your property management portfolio? It has never been easier than it is today to market and scale your business, thanks to the wide array of marketing tools available.
However, this also means that consumers have an unlimited variety of options to choose from. That’s why it’s important to set yourself apart from the competition no matter what marketing channel you choose.
Read on for effective tips on how to market your property management company and set yourself up for success today.
Optimize website performance
If it takes more than a few seconds for a website page to load, chances are the visitor will abandon it and look elsewhere. That’s why it’s important to optimize website performance to make sure your website pages load quickly.
Things that affect your website performance include images, scripts, style sheets, and plugins. Consult with your web developer and ask them to optimize the following aspects of your website to make sure the pages load faster:
- Cached resources
- CSS Stylesheets
- Font sizes
Some property management software comes with a prebuilt website that’s already optimized for speed and performance. You also have the ability to customize the website or let them do all the customization for you.
Leverage Industry Specific SEO
SEO is short for Search Engine Optimization and it refers to the process of improving your website’s search engine ranking. There are billions of websites on the internet and a large percentage of them are business sites.
Because the property management industry is so competitive, SEO is one of the best tools that you can use to set yourself apart from the competition. People go online to search for property managers every day and leveraging SEO will improve the chances of your site showing up on the first results page.
The first results page on Google is prime real estate and it’s where you need to be if you want to generate leads through your website.
Here are some of the most important SEO factors to invest in to improve online visibility:
- Secure your website by converting it from an HTTP to an HTTPS. This will improve your chances of showing up on the first results page because Google prioritizes secure websites over unsafe connections in a bid to protect consumers from harmful sites.
- Make sure your website is mobile-friendly because most people connect to the internet using smartphones and tablets.
- Populate your website with high-quality content that’ll draw people in. This includes using good quality images, the right font types, and sizes, as well as well-written copy.
- Make sure your content is the right length. Most people don’t have the time to read copious amounts of text, so it’s best to keep your content short and to the point. This is especially true when it comes to things like your “About Us” page.
- Optimize meta descriptions and title tags on all of your web pages
- Optimize page speed
- Include social signals on each page, which will automatically redirect people to your social media pages.
- Cultivate quality backlinks by collaborating with relevant websites in your industry.
- Optimize the images on your website.
Create on-demand content
It doesn’t help to produce lots of content if it doesn’t resonate with your target audience. You want to reach property investors, developers, and landlords, right? Then you should create content that brings value to that particular demographic.
It’s important to note that the average person will conduct 12 searches for the same service or product before they decide on a particular option. This means you need to impress them 12 times with engaging content that answers their questions and solves their issues.
You must show site visitors that you’re going to take care of their pain points by preemptively answering their questions. There are various methods you can use to do this. This includes recording videos, starting a podcast, posting infographics and blog posts, etc.
The important thing is to make the information accessible and relevant to your prospects. One of the best (free) tools you can use to find topics that your prospects are searching for is Answer the Public. Here, you’ll find relevant keywords that enable you to attract visitors to your site using your content. Once you’ve found your winning keywords, here is where you should place them:
- H1 and H2 headers
- Image descriptions and alt-tags
- Meta description
- Title tag
- In your Google My Business profile
- Inside website copy
Use Email Marketing to Expand Your Reach
Due to a number of factors, you can only convert a small percentage of your website visitors into clients. For instance, they might get distracted by something else while visiting your site, or maybe they might feel like the available information is insufficient for them to make an immediate purchasing decision.
If for any reason, a prospect isn’t convinced that they need your services from the first moment they come onto your website, you must find another way to cut through the noise and reach them.
Email marketing is a great way to do this because it allows you to collect people’s email addresses in order to remarket to them via newsletters and special offers. You can also remarket to people who visit your website by dropping website cookies into their web browser. This means that they’ll be able to see your ads whenever they visit other websites.
Diversify your marketing resources
While digital marketing takes up a large slice of the marketing pie, it shouldn’t be the only resource you use to attract clients. Here are some other tools and resources that you can use to market your business effectively and improve your chances of attracting even more clientele:
- Yard signs
- Public notice board posters
- Newspaper ads
- Referrals from current clients, friends, and associates
Invest in a content marketing strategy
Content marketing is a great way to establish yourself as an authority in your industry. But, you must create effective, good quality content that’ll help you reach your goals. Here are some tips on how to do just that:
- Make sure your content offers a solution to a problem or an answer to a question
- Highlight the positive aspects of investing in the area where you operate. Go into detail about the different aspects of the area and show off your knowledge.
- Find creative ways to inform and remind residents about community rules and covenants.
- Offer helpful tips on valuable topics such as lawn care, maintenance, etc.
- Use social media and blog posts to keep residents updated on communal events and other relevant happenings.
- Provide commentary on real estate industry trends and events, whether local or national.
Know your location
Location is an imperative variable in your marketing strategy because it helps to determine your focus. For example, if you’re based in Laguna Beach, creating area-specific content will improve your chances of success.
Also, If you want to expand, consider your desired location’s customer acquisition cost, because it’s different in every area.
Study the competition
Research your property management competition to figure out:
- What is their target demographic?
- What marketing channels do they use?
- How large is their online following?
- Are they active on social media?
- How successful are they with search engine optimization?
The answers you get from asking these questions will help you figure out what works within your market and what you should and shouldn’t focus on.
Connect with your local community
Sponsor a local school soccer team, give to a local soup kitchen or organize a community festival. These are all different ways that you can use to connect with your local community to increase exposure.
Nothing beats corporate social investment to boost your company profile and establish you as a reliable and trusted service provider within the community.
Don’t forget word of mouth
Word of mouth is still an effective marketing tool and the best part is that it’s free. Don’t be shy to encourage clients to send family members, colleagues, and friends who might be in need of a property manager your way. Here’s how to leverage word of mouth without seeming desperate:
- Start with your own friends and family
- Run a social media contest that incentivizes people for sharing your page and/or content. The content in question should show your expertise and it could be anything, from a testimonial video from some of your customers to a fun infographic with stats that show how you’ve improved your current client’s assets.
We live most of our lives online and we use technology for pretty much everything. That’s why it’s important to leverage the power and popularity of technology and digital tools to effectively market your property management company.
Keep in mind that the first place most people go to when looking for services is the internet. This includes investors and landlords that are looking for property managers. The internet is the new Yellow Pages and you’ll do well to make sure your business is well represented with a top-quality website, active social media pages, and a strong content marketing strategy.
With that said, a robust marketing strategy should also include traditional methods such as referrals, word-of-mouth, and print advertising.